There is a lot involved when it comes to marble cleaning and restoration; more than a simple wipe over. So when it comes to hiring a marble cleaner, it pays to know what is required for your surface. In most instances, a marble cleaning company will be required to properly clean and care for your stone, but before you hire a cleaning service, it is important to know how to properly care for your marble.
For any area that houses a marble surface, there are some important notes and practices to keep in mind.
- Try to avoid getting your marble surface too wet. Certain marble stones tend to retain more water than others which can present internal damages to the stone. To avoid this, pre treat any stains on the surface and do not continue to clean one area of the marble for prolonged periods of time.
- Dust mop any marble flooring as often as possible. This assists to keep all dirt and dust from accumulating into the porous areas of the stone. Be mindful also of spilling water on your marble as dirt tends to soak and absorb into the surface if left ignored.
- Home areas where pets and animals are around need to be cleaned more regularly as pets can bring about stains to the stone. If you have marble that tends to stain quite easily, it can be a good idea to keep any pets off the stone at all times, or lay a rug down to cover it.
- Dust mop any high traffic areas every day if possible, as these areas can accumulate large amounts of dirt and dust which then can travel around the home. The more these areas are ignored, the more dirt that will pile up on top of the stone. The more these areas are mopped and vacuumed, the cleaner your marble will be in general.
- When vacuuming your marble, take care and be sure not to rush the job. One quick pass over on each area is not enough to draw out all the accumulated dirt. Try to slowly pass the vacuum over each area twice to ensure all dirt is picked up.
When you require a professional marble cleaning service, it is important to ensure that the company you’re looking to hire has extensive experience to do a good job.
Some important questions to consider are;
- Does the company treat all types of marble?
- What types of marbling can the company clean?
- How long is the drying process?
- Can the drying time be sped up with the use of fans?
It is crucial to ask about the drying process of your marble as some services require a dry time of 24 hours or more. This can often be an inconvenience for people living in the house. If the dry time seems to be prolonged, consider the use of fans to speed up the process.
Take all of these notes into consideration next time you are looking to hire a marble cleaning service to ensure all restorations are done correctly and thoroughly.